Birthday Girl

It was a bright day in February I was happy sipping coffee, watching the sun rise along with the hustle and bustle of the day  and thinking .. Thank God I need not rush today .. because it is my birthday today and I am on leave for the day... 

My birthday falls in February just a week before the Valentines day  have so many memories attached to it but I can never forget the date 6 Feb 2005 ... It was the most memorable birthday..

Good 15 years have passed and seems like yesterday.. 

So here I go in flashback where I was a young beautiful confident girl and engineer from the private college factories that were mushrooming in UP those days. 

I really do not want to get into the discussion about engineering as we can go on and on  .. and by the ways engineering is not just studies its the way of life.. 

Those days ..in fact even today ..every middle class family wants  their son/daughter be a doctor or an engineer and these mushrooming engineering colleges gave us the wings ... So I had completed my engineering in CS from one of such private colleges..

It was 6th of February 2005 my birthday. I am the one who loves birthdays and believes that birthdays are special... 

Our birthday parties were not celebrated at McD, Pizza Hut ,we used to have a house party. And most of my friends used to come home uninvited as they loved the food cooked by my mom. 

This day was very special .. It was the first time Rudra was about to meet my friends ... 

I wanted to introduce him to my friends and let them know my choice .. kind of a show off..  Rudra was my colleague in the coaching center where I was teaching just to pass my free time but he was there to finance his studies.

At first glance he would appear to be an average guy with an average height, and thin structure ..but his eyes had a spark .. they always attracted me .. I used to get lost in his eyes.. 

I was waiting anxiously for him. 

Mom had prepared Chhole Bhature and Gulab Jamuns at home and there were many more snacks. 

Most of my school friends were already there and then I saw him comig through the main entry gate..

I rushed to open the door ... He had some big card and a gift in his hands. 

I introduced him to my friends as my colleague but they had smelled the fish.. :) .

They chatted with him for a while asked him about his schools and all .. but he couldn't mingle and then he left early as he was feeling uncomfortable.... 

I  persuaded him to stay back but in vain ... he was actually intimidated by my friends as they were continuously staring at him and were very skeptical about him..(I got to know this later ..)

As soon as he left I was eager to see what he has got for me as Birthday gift. 

The gift was beautiful, wax Idols of Laxmi and Ganesha made by his sister who is an artist. Then there was a big card with hearts all over.. I was embarrassed as in I expected him to give some somber card ............

But I didn't know that the worst was yet to come .. 

as I opened the card  the room was filled with some stupid Govinda song.. I really don't remember the song but it was funny ... 

I  was shocked ..

Well! I was more embarrassed than shocked and closed the card quickly ...  

But the damage was done and the room was filled with laughter and smirks everyone was like .. Hey Aish ... your new friend is awesome .. he has got such a great taste in cards and music .. 

I just made up my mind to never see him again .. 

But worse was yet to happen ..  just then ... Rudra appeared Out of nowhere ...

I was frozen to death as I know he had seen me laughing 

Though I was sure I am gonna breakup with him he cant be my boyfriend if he likes Govinda Songs but at the same time I cannot make fun of him in front of others ..

I said Hey good you are here we were just appreciating the wax statues that your sister has made. She is an amazing artist..

He said Ok but "Did you see the Card?"

I was like why the hell do you want to talk about card can't you see I am already embarrassed about it.. 

But this guy didn't stop there he asked didn't you like it .. 

I was irritated by then and said .. Why whats so good in that card .. and he took it from my hand and opened it again .. and we all started laughing again .. 

and then something magical happened he came near me and said  .. 

Aish,

THIS .. 

This .. 

your laughter and smile makes this card special .. On your day I wanted to let you know that your laughter and smile are precious ... even if it is at my expense ..This is my treasure .  Preserve this .. Its precious.. ..

.........................................

Comments

  1. haaa haa :) Moments of smile are always precious. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved it ❣️❣️❣️❣️

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very well written. You have an easy and engrossing style of writing. The end was fantastic, suddenly so sentimental. I really liked this story. Too realistic to be fiction. Well done. 💐

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Her Birthday